Zesty Raw Butternut Squash and Cabbage Salad
▪ 3 cups grated raw butternut squash (about 1/2 of a peeled and seeded butternut squash)
▪ 3 cups shredded green or Napa cabbage
▪ ½ red pepper, finely chopped
▪ 4 green onions, sliced thinly (use all the white part and about 2” of the green part)
▪ 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or parsley
▪ 1 to 2 jalapenos seeded & finely chopped
▪ 2 tablespoons unseasoned brown rice vinegar
▪ 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
▪ 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
▪ 1 1/2 teaspoons tamari
▪ 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
▪ 1/3 cup sesame oil (not toasted sesame)
Peel the butternut squash, take out the seeds and grate the squash by hand or with a food processor.
Combine the grated squash, cabbage, red pepper, green onions, cilantro and jalapeno(s) in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallot, salt, tamari, and both of the oils.
Pour the dressing over the slaw and mix well.
Sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds and bean sprouts if you like.