- Read through the recipe carefully to make sure that you understand the ingredients and directions. Make sure all ingredients meet your dietary needs.
- Make sure that you can perform all the techniques.
- Look at the recipe yield and decide if the number of servings is what you need. Check that you have all the necessary equipment and ingredients.
- Make sure that you have adequate time to prepare and cook, if needed, the recipe.
- Check whether you can (or need to) make any part of the recipe ahead of time.
- Check whether an ingredient is divided, so that you don’t make the mistake of using that ingredient all at once.
- Find out whether you need to preheat the oven.
Recipe grammar is important! One cup chopped nuts is not the same as 1 cup nuts, chopped. Sometimes you measure an ingredient and then prepare it and sometimes you prepare the ingredient and then measure it.